about me

Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
I am at my happiest when I'm creating something/anything....I'm of Welsh heritage, born in Canada, and have lived a quite curious life so far.....

Saturday, January 07, 2012

new doesn't necessarily mean better........my vintage sewing machine

Sorry I've been away for so long but its business as usual now.

My current projects are many but the one I'm having fun at the moment is designing and stitching a square for a charity quilt, there'll be more on that when I next post, although you can see a peek of it in this picture of my wonderful old sewing machine, specially made for the department store Owen Owens (by New Home) that was once situated in one of the oldest buildings in Shrewsbury.

I'd be lost without it, My only other machine is a Janome Embellisher. I would love to treat myself to either a Bernina or a Janome sewing machine (not sure which, advice would be good if you have a view on which?) However not having an all singing and dancing machine does not prevent me from being creative.

4 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

I do not think you need an 'all singing and dancing' machine. I have had my Bernina since 1967...its a fine piece of machinery

Wolfie said...

Well...I have a Silver computerized sewing machine, and I love it. I have not played with it as much as I want to, but that is partly because I have no table to work on at the moment...can't wait til we've moved to Inverness...we'll get our furniture back:)

I was going to get a Singer but fell for the Silver...my other option would be Bernina...that is what my mum has been using for as long as I can remember. I have used Janome as well, and I like that one as well...I think that the best thing you can do really is go to a shop and try them out and see which one fits you...:)

I am going to try to be more creative once we've moved...it is hard to be creative when you have nowhere to spread your things out to get inspired...well, if I try to spread things out the pets will just play with them...lol

Emily-Grace said...

I currently work on a Janome sewing machine, it's nothing fancy but it does the job and i've been very happy with it. It got me through my degree and is still going strong. xx

Carol Rigby said...

Just came across your poast on sewing machines. I recommend bernina. I have a janome and my machines great for normal sewing but not so hot an freehand embroidery. The tutor at my textile group recomended bernina. I got one off Ebay and its 24 yrs old and I would'nt swap it.(Except for a newer model.)