about me

Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
I am at my happiest when I'm creating something/anything....I'm of Welsh heritage, born in Canada, and have lived a quite curious life so far.....

Friday, June 03, 2011

bee and dog rose "skin embroidery"

In my dissertation around Embroidery I repeated a widely written quote that Marco Polo described tattoos as "skin embroidery".

As part of a family which includes an environmentalist, several archealogists and artists, some tattooed-some not, I have a heightend interest of how tattooing was often for shamanistc purposes, chosen for protection and  skill enhancement, whether it was skin or textile first is unknown but early textile embroidery was also used for the same purposes and again whether skin or textile I find all embroidery intriguing and am very interested in all of its mediums.

I had a smaller rose on my hip from many years ago and wanted it refreshed and extended and so provided images/drawings of dog roses and bees to Simon Clayton (of DNA, Newquay in Cornwall) who produced this for me, at the time a totally original design although I understand that others have now followed. Simon is amazing, he has degrees in Fine Art and Graphic Design, I would strongly recommend him to anyone considering a bit of skin embroidery! http://www.dnatattoo.co.uk/

2 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

How pretty but I must admit I would prefer it not done on skin and often wonder what these designs look like when the skin is old and wrinkled!!

Gwyneth Depport said...

thanks Marigold, this is my skin now and I'm no spring chicken!