about me

Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
I am at my happiest when I'm creating something/anything....I'm of Welsh heritage, born in Canada, and have lived a quite curious life so far.....

Monday, October 03, 2011

Textile Art from the Sea, a sea urchin memory

I had a wander on the beach the other day and found a sea urchin skeleton, virtually intact but oh so fragile. I'm ashamed to say I didn't have my camera with me but was able to do some quick sketches and then some work in my sketchbook one home again. I then felt compelled to try and recreate it in textile, using wire to make the frame I then stitched torn pices of raw calico onto the frame with black embroidery cotton. It's about the size of a large satsuma and I find myself  handing it quite often and I'm feeling a slight compulsion to make a sea of my own out of hundreds of them. Thankfully though it doesn't smell like the real thing.....






for another piece of Textile Art from the Sea go to May 13 2011 below......

1 comment:

Charlie said...

The sketches for the textile piece are beautiful. I especially like the pattern of the second sketch.
You commented on a post of mine asking about wood I like to use for printing. I like to use mdf bcause it doesn't have a grain to disturb the cutting or printing of the piece. You just have to be careful not to carve the wood up so much that you end up with a load of dust, becase the dust can be harmful. Ihope that was helpful :)