about me

Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
I am at my happiest when I'm creating something/anything....I'm of Welsh heritage, born in Canada, and have lived a quite curious life so far.....

Thursday, October 25, 2012

some of Preston's old Textile Mills today

I'm often looking up at buildings, admiring their structure, their architects and builders, wondering about the lives that have been lived inside their walls. Lately I've been a little obesessed with the old textile mills, Horrockses, Tulketh and others here in Preston but I've a feeling I shall be travelling further afield quite soon to try and capture more images but here is a small selection of some I took a couple of weeks ago.

I hope to soon visit a Textile Mill not far from Preston the Queen Street Mill in Burnley, Lancashire it is a working museum, and I shall be taking my camera with me!

Thier sheer size is so imposing and whilst some have been redesignated as Antique and furniture warehouses and factories others have become homes and offices. However the ones that really capturing my imagination and morphing into textile art and surface pattern are those that are bound and tethered in wire. They are captured in barbed wire, weldmesh and chain link like huge brick elephants held on the ground, prevented from going about their business. I've read recently (can't recall where) that 37,000 textile workers once worked in these mills.

Most of my raw fabric comes from Whaleys (Bradford) Ltd based in Bradford, where this nobel work is still carried on, I would encourage anyone who uses raw fabric to make their purchases from Whaleys too, and help keep whats left of our textile industry going and increase our GDP! Their goods are high quality, excellent value and the staff are helpful and friendly,
here is a link to Whaley's website  Please note that Whaleys mill is not featured in any of the images below....

Anyway watch this space and my website for the artwork that is being developed around the mills and their bindings of wire......






 



 
 
 








No comments: