about me

Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
I am at my happiest when I'm creating something/anything....I'm of Welsh heritage, born in Canada, and have lived a quite curious life so far.....

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I collect vintage textiles...........



I collect vintage textiles, mainly embroidered table and tray cloths or crocheted items, these photos are of one of my favourite pieces, a fairly small crocheted blanket, just 1m x1.5m. It appears to be made from real wool and I found it in one of my local charity shops.

I love the repeat pattern of the granny squares, the jewel like colours and black 'joining' yarn that have been used. When I'm handling a piece, I have different thoughts going through my mind, were the yarns left over from a multitude of projects for someones precious family as they were growing up? Where was the crocheter sat when they were making this, with other people or quietly on their own? What was the original purpose of their piece, could it have been a gift?

Whatever the case I can only believe that it was made with love.




 


1 comment:

Dotty said...

What a lovely blanket and a link with the past