about me

Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
I am at my happiest when I'm creating something/anything....I'm of Welsh heritage, born in Canada, and have lived a quite curious life so far.....

Monday, July 30, 2012

Contemporary Textile Art from the Sea

Not really understanding why, nor needing to I suppose, I feel very drawn to lobster pots and if I'm ever lucky enough to be near any I feel compelled to photograph them. Perhaps its the 'controlled chaos' theme again which I've come to realise is a reoccurring presence in my work. I find the intricate structure of the pot is made much more exciting once other loose elements such as fibres are tangled within it.

Wanting to explore this attraction, and working from photos I'd taken during a visit to Whitby in Yorkshire, I snipped a few twigs from my Silver Birch Tree, (sorry tree) and then  experimented with threads and wire until I came up with my own, inland version of one. This measures about 24cm x 12.5cm and consists of crocheted white coated wire, waxed cotton orange thread within a frame of silver birch twigs.



 


 I photographed these lobster pots whilst visiting Yorkshire's Whitby Harbour.
I had to remember that they weren't mine, fighting the urge to search amongst them for any unwanted, accidental treasure from the sea.

Tiny pieces of the colour orange caught my eye.
To me, the rust and barnacles on the iron weight were the sea's own beautiful artwork.

I took this photo of some more modern pots whilst at Barmouth in Wales, somehow although the gridwork had a slightly hypnotic effect on me (or maybe it was the lunchtime cider), I just don't have the same excitment as when I find a stack of the old style pots.

2 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely photos - can almost smell the salt on the air! Your contemporary textile art is great too and I can see the lobster pots in there. Like you I prefer the old style pots but maybe the newer ones will be more picturesque when they have a patina of age and lots of barnacles and seaweed too?

DesignRice said...

:D sea